Let me start by saying, I will never sway you one way or another on this issue. I may offer recommendations, but they are recommendations to best accommodate your overall vision. Whether or not you do a first look is completely up to you and your fiance, but I can give you a few pointers.
A First Look May Be Right For You If…
- Want to do ALL of your portraits before the ceremony. Doing the portraits (and maybe even family portraits!) before the ceremony, will allow you to flow right into enjoying cocktail hour and the reception immediately after the ceremony.
- Don’t want your guests to have to occupy a several hour gap in-between the ceremony and reception. Please let me preface that I do not think this should be your number one concern, but for some people, this is an important aspect.
- You want to have a late afternoon/evening ceremony. There is something very romantic about having a sunset ceremony, with the golden hues and relaxed atmosphere. Having said that, the later your ceremony is, the less time we will have afterward for photos, as we will be racing the light (even if it isn’t necessarily a sunset ceremony).
- You want a REAL reaction. When you do a first look, you not only SEE each other beforehand, you get to embrace, and kiss, and laugh, and cry, and breathe! You get to take a few minutes for yourselves before all the festivities really begin, and spend the majority of your day TOGETHER.
- Or maybe…. You simply cannot wait to see your better half!
A First Look May NOT Be Right For You If…
- You’ve simply always dreamed of walking down the aisle, seeing each other for the first time on your big day right then and there. There’s nothing wrong with keeping it traditional!
- You are completely indifferent one way or another and simply wish to base it around whatever time your ceremony is!
There is NO WRONG WAY TO DO THIS! There are plenty of logistical reasons to suggest doing the first look or not, but ultimately, it comes down to YOUR vision of your big day and everything else will simply fall into place!
As always, if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask!